New Stuff in 2017

In January I started improving my website again after a year of not doing anything to it. I also created this page and the similar one for 2016.

I make slight improvements to the code of fifty pages including the home page and many related to Band.

I add more structured data to the Fokker Triplane speech of my Studies section. I spend a couple of hours adding meta tags with the schema version 3.1 to every page of the website (268 pages but only about 240 of them are public) and also changing the dateModifed meta tags to today's date. I slightly improve several other pages yesterday and today.

Today I finish saving all the pages of my website to the Internet Archive at archive.org. I started a couple of days ago. I also add structured data and other minor changes to a couple dozen web pages.

I finish editing itemid attributes changing them to sameAs links after learning a couple days ago that is better. The five hundred edits done yesterday were on more than a hundred web pages, but the one hundred edits done today were all on one essay (Thoughts on Seversky's book Victory Through Air Power). I also make slight changes to a few other pages and replace the code for the Google custom search engine with a newer version.

I add structured data to the bibliographies of my two essays about Ishi (the last wild Native American). I did some yesterday.

I make slight changes to the CSS code on twenty-nine comments pages to my Band songs. These pages are several levels deep inside my website and are not likely to get many views, but I know they are there and I want them to look good.

I add a little more bibliographic structured data here and there, but the biggest accomplishment is manually replacing the Google Analytics code on every page with a newer version of the code. I want to keep up to date especially where Google is concerned!

I add more structured data to the bibliographies of some essays as I have been doing the past few days.

I edit the markup for two essays and learned more about structured data for bibliographies. I also rearrange the song list for my album and make the songs index page, album page, sitemap and YouTube playlist all have the same ten songs in the same order.

The past couple days I add better structured data for the bibliographies of two essays. On another essay (Thoughts on Seversky's book Victory Through Air Power) I delete some superfluous structured data. I lengthen the character length and pixel width of short title tags on five pages yesterday and six pages today. I also edit eight song pages.

Today I learn more about how to do structured data for bibliographic entries. I also do various online tests of my website. I edit the character length and pixel width of the meta description tags and title tags on eight web pages today and seven pages yesterday to make them more consistent with all the other pages.

Inside the head tag of every page on my website I move the viewport meta tag up from its previous position to just below the charset meta tag and just above the title tag. The CSE HTML Validator recommends this as best practice. This takes some time because I edit each page manually.

I make major changes to the song list for my proposed album When you ride over sharps, you get flats! This also results in changing the songs index page, the site map, and the breadcrumbs navigation links on twelve affected song pages.

On five webpages I correct six links that had Status Code 301 Moved Permanently. I also change some outdated html markup on another page.

For the first time ever my site now has the favicon file correctly formatted and not just for desktop browsers but for other devices (iPhone, Android). I add html code to the headers of more than 250 pages today after uploading several images and related files to the root directory of my web site a couple days ago.

This morning was one of the worst times of my entire life. Afterwards I focus on my website all day and edit 190 pages. First I remove the “About me” navigation buttons from the top left of the pages and move the “Sitemap” button there to make the site more user-friendly especially for those using mobile devices.

I also switch the position of the “Songs” and “Schwinn” buttons so they are in the same order of bicycles and then guitars as in my stage name. After working on the navigation buttons I go back to the bottom of those pages and delete the “AddToAny” share buttons that have cookies and use scripts. So far as I know they did not help bring any traffic to my site since I started using them in 2009.